Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Makeup Memo - the truth about models vs. real women via Truth in Aging


I have a love/hate relationship with fashion magazines. I love them for the overall style inspiration they offer, and I hate them for the shameless promotion of beauty stereotypes. I came across this article today pretty randomly from a Facebook post, and knew I had to share it with you. I know I am guilty of severe self criticism sometimes-- most of which is unwarranted, but fostered by our cultural inclination to somehow meet the unattainable standard of beauty force-fed to our psyche from birth. 

This article, written by international make-up artist Kristen Arnett, thoughtfully expounds on the challenges of placing our self-esteem in jeopardy by considering models and the like as icons of physical beauty. My perspective, thankfully, has grown over the years. I recognize that my worth as an individual is not tied directly to my physical appearance. I'm only human, and I certainly make mistakes. I have good days and bad days-- Days where I wake up and am completely comfortable in my own skin, and days where I can't find a thing I am satisfied with. On those good days, I live in the pure joy and freedom that comes with self-acceptance. On the bad days, I try to "work it out" centering myself in prayer, and giving up my weaknesses to the One who can exchange it for love.

By the grace of God, beauty truly does lie within. We become beautiful through our words, thoughts, and actions. We should take joy, not pride, in our physical appearance. We should exercise to live vibrant, healthy lives-- not to be skinny. We should wear make-up for the pure joy of accenting what God has gifted us with-- not to look like a different person. When you buy an item of clothing, or a lipstick, are you buying it for the joy you will experience in wearing it? Or are you buying it to meet the expectations of, or to impress others? Simply learning to be aware of your motivations can offer a life-altering change in perspectives.

Not only do I think it is important for us to be more self-aware in regards to our perceptions and ideals about beauty for our own self-worth, but it is also vital to the way we will raise the next generation of women. Children will naturally model themselves after their parents, even on things like their subconscious perception of beauty. If you don't learn to love and accept yourself, neither will your children. It is so important that we teach our sons and daughters to treasure themselves as God treasures  us--exactly as we are. To help them to love and embrace their unique differences and personal intricacies. To teach our children about true beauty, joy, and love is one of the greatest gifts we can give future generations. 

I highly recommend reading the full column here: Makeup Memo - the truth about models vs. real women

Have an amazing day!

♥Jen

photo credit: truthinaging.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I'd love for you to share your thoughts!

♥Jen