Friday, October 28, 2011

Healthy Living: My Favorite at Home Workout DVD's


I am soooo not a gym person. I don't like the general atmosphere, nor do I like to "glisten" in public. As working out has become an essential to me, this has led me on a never ending search for good workout DVD's. I've pretty much done them all, PX90, Hip Hop Whatever, Zumba, and many, many others. I get bored easily, and find myself annoyed quickly by the quirks of most "trainers" or "DVD personalities" as I like to think of them. It is really quite rare to come across a workout that is both effective and non-boring. With that in mind, I thought I would share a few of my favorites for all of my fellow gym-a-phobes out there! 



An excellent 40 minute strength workout combining techniques from yoga, ballet, and Pilates. The creator and instructor of this program, Sadie Lincoln, has a great {not annoying!} presence and exudes positivity in every second of this workout. Her goal is firm, long, lean muscles, with no bulk, and I can definitely support that goal! Throughout the workout she reasserts her focus on proper form, giving pointers on how to ensure you remain in proper alignment during the moves. This DVD has an excellent core segment that is challenging, yet puts no strain on your back thanks to the unique placement of a soft exercise ball or towel under your tailbone. I love the leg/back body segment, and always feel it the next day. The arm segment is a bit brief, but can made made more challenging with a slight weight increase (Sadie uses 2lb hand weights) for those more experienced. With its moderate length and nice flow, its easy to fit into any time of the day, and simple modifications can make it easier for beginners, or more challenging for those who are more experienced. This one is a definite favorite, that I look forward to doing, and I usually fit it in at least a few days a week.





Both of these workout are excellent, quick, but high intensity interval training workouts. Honestly, no matter what level I'm doing, I am usually pretty well exhausted by the end of a 30 minute period, and I think thats a good thing. Jillian uses a 3-2-1 circuit method, with 3 minutes of active strength training using weights, 2 minutes of high intensity cardio, and one minute of ab work for both programs. 30 day shred has 3 different workouts ranging from "beginner" level one to "advanced" level 3. Ripped in 30 has four different workouts, and is intended to progress weekly from the beginners to the most advanced workout. 




The "Rock it Out" workout is another great cardio workout, which also incorporates weights (can you tell I like to multitask in my workouts?) Its a pretty intense 46 minutes, but it  is choreographed well to the music and is dance oriented, so it's "fun." While I can't say I love Shaun T, he isn't bad...at his best he is unintentionally funny and at his worst is repetitive. The "hard-core abs" and "booty time" segments are intense targeted strength workouts, don't be fooled by the 10 minute time frame- you will be working! Bottom line, this is a good, intense workout with a dance theme, which well knock out your strength and cardio training for the day in under an hour. 




This is another great workout combining ballet, Pilates, and dance. A little longer than Barre3 at close to 60 minutes, this workout has a much longer Barre segment focusing on strength, grace, and balance in the body. It is also a fairly high tempo workout, so you will be getting some light cardio throughout, and should definitely work up a sweat. The trainer is easy to follow, and the set is light and bright... and the use Louis Ghost Chairs for their Barre work, so I have to give them some style points for that! I can not say enough about how much I have enjoyed incorporating this style of workout into my regime. While Pilates and Ballet are great on their own, I enjoy the variety of moves incorporated into these combined styles. They are fun, effective, and I feel like my overall posture and balance has improved since beginning them. 




You need a solid cardio workout? This is it. Hands down this is the best cardio workout I've done. A lot of classic moves like jumping jacks, burpees, mountain climbers, ect. incorporated with strength moves and plyometrics {read: explosive jumping} which those of you who have done the P90 series will be very familiar with. While this workout is INTENSE, and fairly high impact, Amy is personable, and there are very clear modifiers offered for those of us who need them. My knees can't handle a ton of jumping or direct strain (Can't do lunges or side squats. Boo) so I have to follow the less intense modifiers for a portion of this workout, but I can tell you I am definitely still breathless! This workout follows the Tabata style of interval training with 20 seconds of intense cardio followed by 10 seconds of "rest" repeated multiple times to create a circuit. You will sweat. You will want to scream at the TV. But you also will get results! Isn't that the point after all?



I've got quite a few yoga DVD's and this is one of the only ones that I regularly use. Along the lines of "power yoga" this workout incorporates a relatively fast paced Vinyasa flow, along with strength and core moves. The instructor Ashley definitely proves her point that yoga can increase self-confidence, as this is definitely not an area in which she is lacking, but all of her training enables her to communicate exceptionally well throughout the workout. A nice addition to the standard cardio and strength training workouts in regular rotation.


So there you have it...A thorough round-up of my current faves for at home workouts. Do you have any tips to share for a gym-a-phobe? What are your favorite at home workouts?


♥Jen

photo credits: 12, 3-7


No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I'd love for you to share your thoughts!

♥Jen