Saturday, August 20, 2011

Comfort Food, the Healthier Version.

So I think I may be experiencing a bit of PMS. For the past week I have craved all of the things I know my body doesn't really want, or need... fried, sugary, chocolaty, creamy... You get the idea. So last night I gave in a bit. Enough so my naughty brain receptors were satisfied, but not so much that my whole week of eating well and working out was thrown under the bus. What I wanted was fried chicken and mashed potatoes. What I decided to do was sub the mashed potatoes for polenta and add some healthy greens to the mix. The results were mighty delicious, so I thought I would share them with you.

Looks Good Right?  And to boot, it was approved by the little one as well, so I highly recommend giving this menu a rotation at your home.





Pan Fried Chicken Tenders with Roasted Cherry Tomatoes, Polenta, and Wilted Greens.
recipe adapted from Better Homes and Gardens

Ingredients

1 pint grape or cherry tomatoes, halved
1 Tbsp. agave nectar or sucanat
4 Tbsp extra virgin olive oil, divided
1 cup polenta
1 cup cold water
1 1/2 tsp celtic sea salt
1/4 cup Gruyere cheese, grated
1/3 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
3/4 cup organic 2% milk
1 Tbsp lemon juice
8 skinless, boneless chicken breast tenders (preferably, organic free range)
4 cups organic fresh baby spinach
4 cups chopped collard greens

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line a jelly roll pan with foil. Toss tomatoes with 1 Tbsp olive oil and the agave nectar or sucanat. Sprinkle with 1/4 tsp each sea salt and pepper. Roast for 10-12 minutes, or until skins just start to brown and burst.

2. Combine polenta with 1 cup cold water. In saucepan bring 2-1/2 cups water and 1 tsp. salt to boiling; stir in polenta. Reduce heat; cook 5-10 minutes, stirring often. Remove from heat when polenta has thickened to the consistency of a porridge. Add Gruyere and stir.

3. In shallow dish combine flour with 1/2 tsp. each salt, pepper, and thyme; add milk and lemon juice to another dish; let sit for 5 minutes.  Dip chicken in milk then flour. Heat 3 tablespoons olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat; add chicken. Cook 4 minutes per side or until no pink remains (170 degrees F); remove. Set chicken to drain on paper towel lined plate.

4. Drain most of pan drippings, reserving about 1 tbsp. in pan. Add spinach and collard greens; cook until just wilted. Season to taste. Serve chicken with spinach, polenta, and tomatoes. Makes 4 servings.

Enjoy! 

♥ Jen

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I'd love for you to share your thoughts!

♥Jen