Saturday, July 7, 2012

HEALTHY LIVING: FUN FOODIE FINDS

Being healthy conscious, and having a little one running around has me constantly on the lookout for delicious healthy goodies to fill our pantry and fridge. There have been some fantastic entries to the market lately, and I thought I'd share a few of my faves with you!

Over the last few years, I discovered I was largely intolerant to dairy products. I didn't really have a single outstanding symptom, I simply noticed that my skin and my tummy both felt better when I avoided most milk and milk products. I still enjoy some cheese every now and then, but tend to stick to goat cheese, feta, or sheep's milk ricotta, or a touch of traditional shredded cheese here or there.

Luckily for me, there are a TON of new dairy-free products out there. Hands down, my all-around favorite milk replacement is unsweetened vanilla almond milk. I just really enjoy the flavor and texture. Plus it has a ton of calcium and is very low in calories, only 35 calories per cup, which makes it a great base for smoothies or to splash on cereal. A newer addition are all of the coconut milk products. An excellent source of MCFA's {thats medium-chain fatty acids, which are a great heart healthy fat}, and also high in calcium, I've discovered some new favorites thanks to So Delicious!

I love their creamers. Just a touch adds such great flavor and creaminess to my morning coffee! Definite two thumbs up!

I also have really enjoyed their Kefir. An excellent source of probiotics, this dairy-version is outstanding. And it is not overly sweetened, which I enjoy. So delicious has also started making a greek yogurt which I love, but it can be hard to find.

For my snack-fiend of a daughter, I tend to rely on Trader Joe's for healthier versions of chips and cookies and such, but I've come across a few great finds at my local store lately. Late July Organics is a new favorite, and their sandwich cookies are also delightful, as well as free from synthetic ingredients and high fructose corn syrup..



Also a new favorite are Mary's Gone Organic Original Crackers. Perfect with some carrots and hummus for a mid-day snack, they are full of healthy fiber and omega-3's. 


And in the cereal aisle, I came across Cascadian Farms Organic, who make some great, healthier alternatives to traditional kids cereals. No synthetic colors or flavors, and low on sugar. They also make fantastic granola, which is perfect for sprinkling on your yogurt. My favorites are the french vanilla almond and dark chocolate. Fantastic for those chocolate cravings, simply add a packet of stevia to plain greek yogurt. Yum.


In the snack/granola bar department, Kind bars have come out with a much more waistline friendly "snack size," each bar has 3g of tummy-filling fiber and only 110 calories. Great to keep in your purse for a quick, healthy snack on the go. 


If you are a Costco member, keep an eye out in their aisles for "Coach's Oats Multigrain Pancake Mix" {amazing! Try it with bananas or blueberries!} and "Made in Nature Organics" unsulphured, unsweetened dried fruits. Their antioxidant fusion blend, apricots, and figs are favorites to have around the house. Great to add to homemade cookies, or to toss in oatmeal. 

So there you have it! A quick round-up of my families favorites for snacking and beyond. Here's to happy, healthy tummies all around!

♥ Jen






No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for reading! I'd love for you to share your thoughts!

♥Jen